Sunday 3 October 2010

Night time machinations

Isn't it funny how the brain turns over in the middle of the night and reveals deeply hidden memory snippets.

Over the past year I have wondered how my body will cope with being at a high altitude on Kilimanjaro, having believed that I have never been anywhere near high altitude before.

My brain has just uncovered a memory of a holiday in Tenerife about 20 years ago.  One day we hired a car and drove to Mount Teide, the dormant Vulcano at the centre of the island.  There was a final, relatively short, climb from a carpark to the mouth of the Vulcano.  I remember feeling unusually, unpleasantly exhausted and leaden footed on this short walk and having turned back before I got to the mouth.  I have just googled Mount Teide - it is 3,718 metres high, a mere hillock compared to Kilimanjaro (5,893 metres) and not high enough to have felt any signs of altitude sickness.  Oh dear!  That's not good.  I am officially worried now!!!!! 

I wish my brain would stop churning I preferred blissful ignorance.

No comments:

Post a Comment