Tuesday 14 September 2010

Five weeks to go.........

With only 5 weeks to go until Kilimanjaro feverish preparations for this trip are underway and it's turning into a feat of epic proportions.

Training
Today I had another training session with my new PT Holly Darke (or as I like to think of her  - the irrepressible Darke horse!).  It was a good session  Unfortunately she has uncovered my really weak point - core strength.  She wrote CORE!!! in emphasised letters above next weeks appointment on her schedule. Let's face it...washboard stomach?  It's never gonna happen!

Kit
I have been finalising the purchasing of kit for the trip.  Suddenly there are so many things that I am thinking would be good to take, I probably haven't got space for them in my bag but of course I shall squeeze in as many as I can.  Never knowlingly under-equipped.  (Must: take extra tip for the porter for will b lugging my bag up the mountain on his head!)

Fundraising
The Golf Day on Thursday will be the final fund raising event before the climb.  Fingers crossed for good weather.  The total that I have raised for Macmillan so far is a fantastic £6,575 but I would really love to reach my target of £10,000.  We'll see.... 

Medication
I have had all required vaccinations but must remember to start to take malaria tablets three days before the trip.  I sought the advice of the Boots pharmacist about remedies for altitude nausea but was sceptical about his suggestion to take a travel sickness pill.  He asked how long I would be travelling, I replied 9 days.  He said "take one tablet two hours before leaving"  Either he misunderstood me or I misunderstood him, either way this doesn't sound right! 

Camera
I am not a technical person.  I am the point, press  and hope for the best variety of photographer but I want to come back with beautiful images that I will be able to spend a lifetime reflecting on, therefore, I spent two hours last night trying to fathom out all of the menu setting on my camera.  What a nightmare!  Where is the camera manual? 

Ipod
I have also spent several hours searching the house for leads/chargers/instruction manuals for my ipod.  Why, oh why don't I keep these things in labelled boxes (like my sister does)!

Tanzanian Visa 
I applied for my visa last week. 
Note to self:  Never use a felt tipped pen to address shiny plastic Royal Mail Special delivery envelopes - the writing wipes off! (Good job I realied this before I posted it)
 
Work
I have been beavering away at work reconciling accounts, writing 'idiot guides' to my priority jobs and tying up loose ends.  Unfortunately the loose ends seem to be multiplying.

Will I ever feel that I am truly ready for this?  Or is it usual for a person to feel that they should be doing more?

No comments:

Post a Comment