Thursday 8 July 2010

Vaccination against the dreaded lergy!

First thing yesterday morning I had all the vaccinations I need for the Kilimanjaro trek.

A triple vaccine for Diptheria, Polio & Tetanus;  Typhoid;  Yellow fever and Hepatitis A.  I also bought Mallarone Malaria tablets and arranged an appointment with the doctor to discuss a prescription for Diamox which helps prevent Altitute Mountain Sickness (AMS) (although the side effect of this drug is peeing more - I'm not sure what will be worse - AMS or bopping down to pee in public with nowhere to hide!)

The initial reaction to the vaccinations was a slightly red mark on my arm where the Typhoid injection went in and an achey feeling in my upper arm.  By lunch time my body was feeling achey all over and by 3.00pm I was achey and yawning.  With the prospect of the Race for Life looming in the evening I have to say I had never felt less like jogging anywhere.  I decided to go home from work early.  After an hours nap on the settee I felt slightly better and made my way to Trinity Park for the Race for Life.

When I arrived the great atmosphere swept me along and all aches were forgotten.  

Today there are no side effects left of the vaccines - it's business as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment