Thursday 11 November 2010

Kilimanjaro trek - Day 4

We woke at 5.30am, packed up bags and had bed tea at 6.30am.  Breakfast was at 7.15am today ready for the start of our days trek at 8.00am.

It was a bright day and we had a great view of the summit from Barranco camp.

 
Summit from Barranco camp framed by giant lobelia plants.

After yesterdays epic hike and emotional descent into camp with Brian I badly wanted to telephone home. I had not been able to get a signal since starting our climb but Ian had found out from one of the African porters that if I climbed onto the rocky high point in camp and held the phone outstretched over my head for 5 minutes I would get a signal.  I followed instructions and sure enough there it was - 4 bars.  My husband Mark answered the phone, after the usual preamble of pleasantries he said "I'm glad you've phoned, I have a query on the last quarters VAT return.........".  This was not quite the conversation I had been anticipating.  Ah well.  Hakuna matata!

Today we were climbing the Barranco wall, a 300 metre rock scramble.  Hiking poles would not be required as the wall would require hands and feet in places.  Having scrambled up the North face of Tryfan in August as part of our training I was not at all daunted by the prospect of the Barranco Wall, in fact I would go so far as to say that I was looking forward to it.




Barranco Wall























For David and Kev who suffered badly from vertigo, the wall was a nightmare.  At one point David was hugging the rockface so tightly he was in danger of fusing to it permanently and to say that Kev looked relieved to have reached the top is the understatement of the century.

Once at the top we rested for a while, before continuing our trek through the Karanga valley to our next camp.  Ten minutes after setting off we heard over the radio that Brian had made it to the top of the Barranco wall.  Incredible!

Our trek descended into one valley, up the other side, then a rocky descent into another valley.  Half way down the rocky ascent Simon, Brians triathlete son (super fit and almost super human), caught up with us.  He had run ahead of Brian just to say "Hi!" then immediately turned around and ran back. (Huh?  It was as much as I could do to creep along like a tortoise).  We climbed a rocky steep ascent up to the Karanga camp which was above the clouds, arriving at 2.15pm.



 Arrival at Karanga Hut camp:  Ian; Alison; Anne; Me; Whitey; Gary

Karanga Hut camp above the clouds




















I was particularly excited to see that lunch was toasted cheese, onion, tomato and cucumber (sorry once again Gary) sandwiches.  My favourite lunch so far.  Delicious!

Scrummy lunch




















By this stage in the trek the mens beards were establishing well.  As for us ladies, we were commenting on our hairy legs, Alison said that she hadn't decided whether she was going to plait hers or part them in the middle!

We had the remainder of the afternoon to rest before having dinner and then getting an early night.  Tomorrow was going to be a big day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment