Sunday 31 October 2010

Did it!

I am pleased to tell you that I reached the summit of Kilimanjaro on Thursday morning.

Low points:  Nausea; vomiting; splitting headaches; discomfort; insomnia; filth; stinking toilets.
High points:  Raising funds for Macmillan; camaraderie; meeting inspirational people both African and English; laughter; sense of achievement

After 5 days of trekking between 6 and 11.5 hours per day we reached summit camp.  We started our summit attempt at midnight on Wednesday in pitch darkness, biting cold and howling winds.  I managed to shuffle my way to the summit in 8 and a quarter hours and then took 4 hours to come back down to summit camp.  I then had only 1 hour to rest before packing up bags and walking to the next camp for dinner and sleep. 

Physically and mentally challenging.  It was both one of the best and one of the worst experiences of my life and I wouldn't change a thing about it.

When I return home I will update this blog with full details and photographs of the trek.

No comments:

Post a Comment